Everyone agrees that having healthy kids is important – here are a few tips to help your kids stay healthy:
1. Zinc: A vital mineral for enzymatic function, blood sugar metabolism, protein metabolism and DNA formation. Zinc is one of the most important nutrients for immune function, hormonal regulation and healthy bones, skin and joints. Children that suffer from recurring ear infection, allergies or respiratory infections have an increased demand for zinc.
2. Coconut Oil: A solid at room temperature, coconut oil contains a high source of lauric acid (along with breastmilk) and is recognized for its strong antimicrobial and antifungal properties. This oil can be given to kids as a butter substitute, hidden in smoothies or enjoyed straight off the spoon.
3. Sugar free diets: A study concludes three ounces of sucrose at one sitting reduced the phagocytes ability to engulf bacteria and other invaders by 40%. The effect started within 30 minutes of ingestion and lasted five hours. During a time when bacteria and viruses are flying about, we want our immune systems on guard, not on siesta!
4. Elderberry (Sambucus nigra): This herb is very kid friendly since it is easily prepared in a syrup form rather then an alcohol based tincture, and has a more pleasant taste (albeit a little tart!) Extract inhibits influenza virus replication in 10 strains of the virus in vitro, and enhances inflammatory and anti inflammatory cyctokines in human cells.
5. Vitamin D: Vitamin D is produced in our body with the help of sunshine, but its suggested now that we supplement, especially in the long dark winter months. In one study, the Vitamin D dose for children equivalent to the 4000IU adult dose completely prevented all respiratory infections over a winter in a group of children who had experienced three or more infections the previous year
Wishing you and your kids good health,